I’m a Catholic with meniere’s-meaning i attend Mass when able but most of the time am blessed to be able to have Mass from EWTN.As well as the rosary,Divine Mercy Devotions and other great programming.
Am a shut in Catholic.
Am also a returned Catholic who got infected with modernism. A fancy way of saying i did it my way with one foot on a banana peel and the other in hell.
If i wrote my life story(which i won’t)it would make St Augustine blush.
Enough said on the past. Why am I Catholic today or at all?
1. The Catholic Church is the oldest Christian body in existence dating back to the apostles. If you can prove otherwise-be my guest. You’re welcome to try.
2. The Catholic Church holds sacred scripture in the highest regard. Ok,we reject sola scriptura but that’s not the same thing. I think some non Catholics confuse this. They think because we don’t accept sola scriptura that we don’t accept scripture. Definitely not true. The Catholic Church discerned the inspired books of scripture and its canon.The monks hand copied(you try it)sacred scripture. The Church defeated the Great Heresies(although they show up over and over in different forms to this day). Ironically,sola scriptura is NOT scriptural at all. The apostles didn’t have the Bible. They had the Torah and the teachings of Jesus. Scripture can’t interpret itself. It’s infallible and Jesus made sure when it was put together it had an infallible interpreter. The Church came first. This is why so many denominations have sprung up from the first revolt in the 16th century. It’s every one for himself to interpret to his/her liking.They’re not always on the same page so to speak and often when it goes against what one believes(or what one would like to think it says)then it ends up being what i believe. OPINION.Off to another denomination. Do we grocery shop? Do we search until we find something that suits us? Or do we want an anchor in a stormy sea? The Church IS that anchor. Sola Scriptura makes every single person their own Pope. Yet,the same people have a real problem with Catholics accepting the authority of the Church. Sorry-but Jesus said it.We accept it. Jesus gave Peter the KEYS. Jesus never commanded the apostles to write a single word.Not even once.
He DID command them to preach(spoken word) and pass down(oral tradition)and go out and baptize all nations. He often said it wasn’t enough to hear what He said but to put it into PRACTICE. Yep,the Thessalonians HEARD the apostles and accepted the gospel,that is GOOD NEWS.[The other group of people read the same Torah and rejected what the apostles taught.]
The Good News? JESUS.
The Word of God? JESUS.
3.Reverence of Mary is another reason I’m Catholic. Non Catholics charge us with worship of Mary.Not for an instant.
We’re just not dismissive of her special role in salvation history. She is not just another woman of scripture and to be discarded to the side after a few Nativity scenes.
Some Catholics go overboard? Probably. We should never give Mary the honor and glory due to God alone but we also recognize God Himself gave Mary honor and glory.Not the honor and glory due Him-the honor and glory He gives. Wordsworth wrote that Mary is our ‘tainted nature’s solitary boast.’ The angel Gabriel proclaimed the message of God to Mary.HAIL,FULL OF GRACE. We are even told in Genesis that God put enmity between Satan and Mary. It would have to be total enmity. Not one speck of sin.Jesus saved His own mother but in her case in conception. In our case after we sinned. Let’s keep in mind that God is outside of time.Time is a concept we live with. It will mean nothing in heaven.
I pity you, oh my afflicted mother, on account of the first sword of sorrow that pierced you, when in the temple, by the prophecy of St. Simeon, all the cruel sufferings that men would inflict on your beloved Jesus were represented to you, which you had already learned from the holy Scriptures, even to his death before your eyes upon the infamous wood of the cross, exhausted of blood and abandoned by all, and you without the power to defend or relieve him. By that bitter memory, then, which for so many years afflicted your heart, I pray you, oh my queen, to obtain for me the grace that always in life and in death I may keep impressed upon my heart the passion of Jesus and your sorrows.
4. The Church’s teaching on Morality from conception to abortion to same sex ‘marriage.’
Clear as a bell.Don’t let the media fool you. Humanae Vitae was written at a time when artificial contraception was introduced;birth control pill in particular. The Church said,NO.Immoral. The Protestant denominations also believed it was immoral UNTIL the Lambeth conference. One by one they caved.
Contraception opened the door to abortion,same sex marriage,cohabitation and divorce.
I will let Humanae Vitae speak for itself.
“If you follow the will of God, you know that in spite of all the terrible things that happen to you, you will never lose a final refuge. You know that the foundation of the world is love, so that even when no human being can or will help you, you may go on, trusting in the One that loves you.” ― Pope Benedict XVI
5. Confession. ABSOLUTION of sins. John 20:21-23:
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
6. The Eucharist. No,Jesus is not killed over and over again at Mass. Been to a Catholic Mass?
The Mass in the Book of Revelation: http://www.agapebiblestudy.com/charts/liturgy%20of%20the%20mass%20in%20the%20book%20of%20revelation.htm
Maronite Catholic. Not going to go into the rites of Catholic Church in this entry. Will bring it up if you want to learn more about the various rites-22 in total.
We’re not JUST Latin(Roman)rite.
I will also devote a WHOLE entry on the Eucharist from scripture in a future blog entry. I feel we should spend more time on the essential teaching of the Catholic Church. It is the source and summit of our beliefs.
7. The Sacred.
8. Yes,there are sinners.I would be a perfect example.We know-even the Pope goes to confession.